I hate frizz with a passion! I could go on for hours on how much I dislike it, but I'll spare you. Frizz is caused by breakage in the hair, which can be cause by a lot of things.
- Brushing hair too much
- Brushing hair when it's wet
- Rubber bands with the metal piece
- Rubbing wet hair with a towel
- Thinning shears or cutting the hair with a razor
- Blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc.
Well the best offense is a good defense, right? Here's how I would recommend you defend yourself from the frizzies:
- Always rinse hair with the coldest water that you can stand. This will seal the cuticle making the hair look shinier and less frizzy.
- Keep brushing to a minimum. When you do brush, try using a wide-tooth comb--especially when wet-- this will be a lot less damaging to your hair.
- Avoid those rubber bands with the metal piece. If you have to tie up your hair, try a scrunchie instead!
- Blot your hair dry instead of rubbing it with a towel, which can be extremely damaging. You may even want to try a microfiber towel. Personally, I use the Mimi's Diva Dryer Hair Towel, but I hear that a lot of people like the Turbie Twists.
- Avoid heat products as much as possible. Sadly, this is the hardest one for me - I'm addicted to my flat iron :(. If you have to use heat, get an ionic hair blow dryer which will actually reduce static and frizz in the hair. For girls who are going for the straight look, I would also suggest that you use a round brush. For my curly girls, I would recommend getting a diffuser attachment for your blow dryer - but make sure you put it on a low setting!
- If you do use hot tools like flat irons or blow dryers make sure you use a heat protectant! I would recommend Tresseme or Got2B - they're cheap and work great!
- Avoid thinning shears and razors. Yes, I know they can make your hair look super awesome, but they are also super damaging.
There are a lot of products out there on the market that claim to get rid of the frizz. Here are a few that usually get high ratings:
- Crack Leave-In Hair Cream
- FHI Heat Hot Sauce
- John Frieda Frizz-Ease Thermal Protection Hair Serum
- Biosilk Silk Therapy